Planning Your Divorce Now Can Minimize Problems Later
Some marriages get to the point where they are a divorce waiting to happen. If you think divorce is inevitable, it may be better to talk to a lawyer sooner rather than later. If you are going through a divorce in Birmingham Alabama or a surrounding area, I am happy to offer an initial attorney consultation for a nominal fee to let you know what to expect.
Talking to a divorce lawyer doesn’t mean that you have to go through with the divorce. In fact, after finding out how you would be affected financially and emotionally, you might decide that you don’t want to go through with the divorce–or you may want to take some more time to think things over. At the very least, you can prepare yourself for the process and learn how to protect your interests.
Protecting Your Financial Interests
Many people going through divorce are shocked to learn that assets such as retirement plans and even a family business must be divided with their spouse. An experienced lawyer in Alabama can let you know in advance how Alabama’s equitable property division rules are likely to apply to you. A lawyer can also tell you how to protect yourself from credit card debt run up by your spouse.
Practical Aspects of Divorce
There are certain practical considerations that everyone going through a divorce needs to plan for:
- Where will you live? Will you need to sell the marital residence?
- How are you going to support yourself while the divorce is in process? Will you receive/have to pay temporary spousal support?
- How will you support yourself in the future? It’s good to get advice from a financial planner.
- How will the divorce affect your children? What can you do to minimize the emotional damage?
- What will your life be like after your divorce?
By seeking a lawyer’s advice now, you can start preparing for the future. Contact us to schedule an appointment in our Birmingham offices.